|Bangor, Maine - Introduction|
Incorporated February 12, 1834 The area encompassing Bangor was first noted in Admiral Samuel de
Champlain's journal in 1604 during his search up the Penobscot River for the mythical land of
'Norumbega'. A fort was erected by the French in the area prior to 1656. In 1769, English
settlers claimed the area, which then became known as Kenduskeag Plantation and then,
for a short period between 1787 and 1791, was named Sunbury.
The Town of Bangor was incorporated on February 25, 1791, named after a hymn entitled 'Bangor',
and conferred by Reverend Seth Noble, an early settler. Once the lumber capital of the world,
a reputation solidified in the 1850s, the City has since evolved into a major trade, distribution,
service, and commercial center for the northern and eastern Maine region. Bangor's rich architectural
history is found throughout its modern landscape, making for an attractive, small New England city.
At every turn, Bangor provides something for everyone.
Bangor's Area Code is 207
|Bangor Region Map|
Arts District: From I 295 (North or South) take exit 7 (Franklin Street) to Congress Street for the Arts District.
Old Port: From I 295 (North or South) take exit 7 (Franklin Street).
Follow Franklin to Middle Street for the Old Port or continue to Commercial Street for the Waterfront.
Driving Distances to Bangor
Boston ---- 206 miles |
Manchester ---- 184 miles
New York City ---- 386 miles
Philadelphia ---- 464 miles
Providence ---- 246 miles
Washington DC ---- 588 miles
Important Phone Numbers
- Police Department 911
- Alternate Emergency Number - 207-947-4446
- All Other Calls - 207-947-7384
- Bangor Public Library : 207-947-8336
- Ambulances Emergency - 207-945-9600
- Various Taxi Services
AAA Yellow Cab - 207-945-6441
Airport/River City Taxi - 207-947-8294
Chuck's Taxi - 207-356-8888
Dick's Taxi - 207-942-6403
- Car Rentals Services
National Car Rental - 207-947-0158 or (800) 227-7368
Thrifty Car Rental - 207-942-6400 or (800) 847-4389
Hertz Rent A Car - 207-942-5519 or (800) 654-3131
Avis - 207-947-8383 or (800) 831-2847
Park & Shop
Use Park & Shop stamps for free parking. Park in a garage or lot and take your ticket with you.
Ask for a Park & Shop stamp with each purchase at a downtown store. Each stamp is good for one
free hour of parking.
|Bangor Best Inn
570 Main Street
Bangor, ME 04401 US
Whether visiting Bangor on business or pleasure, they offer safe, clean, comfortable and affordable accommodations.
|Bangor Motor Inn
701 Hogan Road
Bangor's most accommodating hotel. Conveniently located with many amenities.
|Bangor Hampton Inn
10 Bangor Mall Blvd
Bangor, Maine 04401.
Conveniently located in the center of Bangor's modern commercial district, you'll be close to it all - and, as always, your satisfaction is guaranteed.
|White House Inn
155 Littlefield Ave
Bangor, ME 04401
Conveniently located right beside Interstate 95 in central Maine near the coast and Acadia National Park and inland Maine attractions.
Bangor, ME - Web Resources
- City of Bangor, ME - Bangor City Hall, 73 Harlow Street, Bangor Maine 04401-5118
- Bangor Public Library - 145 Harlow Street Bangor, Maine 04401
Phone: 207-947-8336 Fax: 207-945-6694
- Bangor School Department - 73 Harlow Street Bangor, Maine 04401
- Bangor Internation Airport - 287 Godfrey Boulevard Bangor, ME 04401
Telephone: 207-992-4600 Fax: 207-945-3607
- Greenway Equipment Sales: Greenway Equipment Sales is a full line dealer of John Deere Consumer & Commercial Equipment. Products range from hand held out door equipment, riding tractors and utility tractors up to 75 hp
- 1270 Hammond St. Bangor, ME 04401
Telephone: 207-990-4433 Fax: 207-990-4431
- Howard Tool Co: Howard Tool was founded in May of 1985 by Marty Arsenault. The goal of the company was to produce the highest quality parts for local industries and to continue doing business in Maine.
- Howard Tool Co. Inc, 547 Odlin Road, Bangor, Maine 04401
Telephone: 207-942-1203 Fax: 207-942-2444